The senator was interviewed on the Breitbart News Daily podcast.
- Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) told Breitbart’s Alex Marlow that the crisis of America’s decline is likely deliberate, during a recent interview on Thursday’s edition of the Breitbart News Daily podcast.
- According to the Arkansas Republican, the Democrat Party is intentionally putting the country in a worse position to help implement progressive policies.
- Cotton spoke to similar issues in his latest book, Only the Strong: Reversing the Left’s Plot to Sabotage American Power, in which he talks about the left’s antipathy for the United States, particularly the Constitution and its protection of human life.
- “It’s not Joe Biden’s bad luck that he happened to be an office when we have 13 percent inflation or gas at five or even six dollars a gallon in some states,” Cotton said. “The sense of decline most Americans have is, again, not an accident. It’s not unintentional. It’s decline by design.”
- “The progressive left — going back a hundred years — is at best ambivalent about America,” Cotton said. “Many are openly critical or even hostile to America, but they’re all hostile to the sources of American power: a strong military; a strong, prosperous, growing economy; American energy production and independence; sovereign borders and freedom of action in the world; standing up for friends; standing up against adversaries like China.”
- He continued: “You see, it started with Woodrow Wilson, the first president to openly repudiate our founding, openly critical of the Declaration and the Constitution in a way that no president would be today.
- “Down through the ages, every time a progressive Democrat takes the White House, they’re pursuing policies that undermine the sources of American power, and it’s only gotten worse with Bill Clinton and especially Barack Obama — the most ideological man to be president since Wilson — and Barack Obama’s understudy, Joe Biden.”
- “A fundamental premise of the progressive movement was that our Founders had lived in a time-bound era, they couldn’t see over the horizon that scientific and technological progress was coming, that Darwin was going to reorient the scientific world. They had this foolish idea that we had God-given natural rights, that we had a fixed human nature that never changed.”
- “The progressives knew better,” Cotton added sarcastically. “They knew that everything was historically time-bound, that man’s nature would change, that we would therefore improve morally, not just scientifically and technologically, and that you could perfect human nature and ultimately, therefore, perfect society.”
- The lawmaker went on, saying “You could achieve utopia or return to the garden. You didn’t need foolish things like the separation of powers, and checks and balances, and federalism. That’s why Wilson is really the patron saint also of the vast administrative state we have today, where supposedly neutral, non-partisan scientific experts could carefully calibrate all of the various conflicts, or the tensions, or the needs of our society, as opposed to people’s elected representatives doing so with those critical constitutional curbs on them.”
- A recent poll indicated that the majority of Americans agree with Cotton’s assessment of the left’s treatment of the economy, showing that voters trust Republicans to handle Inflation and the economy, as American Faith previously reported.
- Voters overwhelmingly prefer the GOP to address top issues facing the U.S., just weeks before midterm elections the poll showed, indicating that 15% more Americans trust Republicans than democrats on issues regarding the economy and crime.