The public has not seen California’s Gov. Newsom since October 27th.
- California Governor Gavin has withdrawn from public view for “unspecified family obligations,” a week after suddenly canceling plans to attend the United Nations climate summit in Scotland, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- The Tribune piece notes that Gov. Newsom had received a Moderna Covid-19 vaccine booster shot on Wednesday, Oct 27 from California Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly at Asian Health Services in Oakland.
- According to the Tribune, “After abruptly canceling his plans last week to attend the United Nations climate summit in Scotland, Newsom did not participate in the conference virtually the first week of November 2021 while attending to unspecified family obligations.”
- “When the surprising announcement was made Oct. 29,” the piece goes on reporting, “a spokesperson said Newsom planned to participate virtually in the conference this week. But the California delegation’s schedule at the meeting this week, released by the governor’s office, did not include Newsom.”
- Newsom’s “last public appearance was Oct. 27, when he received a coronavirus booster shot.”
- His office “did not respond to questions Friday about what the governor has been doing this week,” according to the Tribune.
- California’s Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis downplayed the significance of Newsom’s disappearance from public view, stating, “The governor has a young family, and we all need to understand our family, especially ours who were there.”
- One Twitter user joked the governor might be found at the high-end restaurant French Laundry, the location Newsom was famously spotted ignoring his own coronavirus mandates.
- Another Twitter user also joked, this time more grimly, insinuating Newsom had experienced a “negative reaction” from being injured by the vaccine itself.
- Another chimed in that the media was participating in a “cover up” of possible adverse reactions to the jab suffered by Newsom.
Jon Fleetwood is Managing Editor for American Faith and author of “An American Revival: Why American Christianity Is Failing & How to Fix It.”