U.K.’s Boris Johnson advocated for population control a decade and a half ago, calling over-population a critical issue to the survival of the species.
- Now-United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson reportedly argued that the reproduction and fertility of the human race was the most pressing issue for global survival more than a decade ago according to The National File.
- Johnson wrote a piece for The Telegraph titled “Global over-population is the real issue,” where he noted his concerns about the reproduction of the human race, saying that the political right has “stifled” population control.
- The UK leader said that depressing the reproduction and fertility of the human race is the most pressing issue for the survival of mankind, even ranking it above global climate change.
- He noted that back then, it was “perfectly respectable to talk about saving the planet by reducing the growth in the number of human beings.”
- The prime minister cited a flight over Mexico City, calling its economically challenged areas a “horrifying vision of habitations multiplying and replicating like bacilli in a Petri dish.”
IN JOHNSON’S OWN WORDS:
- “We are getting to the point where you simply can’t discuss it, and we are thereby refusing to say anything sensible about the biggest single challenge facing the Earth; and no, whatever it may now be conventional to say, that single biggest challenge is not global warming,” Johnson wrote.
- “That is a secondary challenge. The primary challenge facing our species is the reproduction of our species itself,” Johnson declared.
- “The primary challenge facing our species is the reproduction of our species itself,” the prime minister declared. “I simply cannot understand why no one discusses this impending calamity, and why no world statesmen have the guts to treat the issue with the seriousness it deserves.”
- Johnson complained that “we seem to have given up on population control,” and blamed “all sorts of explanations” for the “surrender,” including former Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, who Johnson said “gave it all a bad name” with a “demented plan sterilise Indian men with the lure of a transistor radio.”
- Overpopulation has been a concern of the left-wing for decades. However, according to recent reports, the world population is forecasted to decrease for the first time in centuries, according to the National Post.
- The publication indicated that it was thought the last time the global population was on the decline was in the 14th century, due to the Black Plague.
- The United States has seen the slowest growth on record for the nation’s population, according to the United States Census Bureau.