Trump told Fox News’s Sean Hannity that he and DeSantis “get along great,” and applauded the Florida governor’s work.
- Former President Donald Trump told Fox News’ audiences he gets along well with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, according to Newsweek.
- Trump made his comments about his state’s governor following rumors that the former president and Republican governor had disagreements.
- The former president went on to talk about the multiple times that DeSantis backed him while he was in office, and called rumors of their feud “fake news.”
- Similarly, DeSantis’ press secretary denied any truth to the rift between the former president and current Florid executive officeholder.
WHAT TRUMP AND DESANTIS SAID:
- “Ron was very good on the [Special Counsel Robert] Mueller hoax. He was right up front along with Jim Jordan and all of the rest, they were fantastic. The Republicans really stuck together and it was a great thing,” Trump said of DeSantis.
- “He’s been a friend of mine for a long time. It’s totally fake news. I think Ron said last week, he said it very publicly. The press is never going to get in the middle of my friendship with Donald Trump,” he added.
- “He said that, and I agree with him on that 100 percent. I have a very good relationship with Ron and I intend to have it for a long time.”
- DeSantis’ press secretary Christina Pushaw said In a statement to Newsweek, “All these stories were merely attempts by corporate media activists to distract from President Biden’s failures,” Pushaw said.
- “It is not a coincidence that this fabricated media narrative emerged during perhaps the worst week of Biden’s presidency, as it became clear last week that Biden would not be able to deliver on Build Back Better, enact sweeping legislation to federalize elections, or ‘shut down the virus,’ as he had promised repeatedly during the 2020 campaign.”
- On the 18th of January, The Hill reported that there were “long-simmering tensions” between the pair that had “reached a boiling point ahead of a potential 2024 primary clash.
- On the 19th Axios reported that “tensions are rising” between Trump and DeSantis with DeSantis “courting conservative influencers” and “pushing back against Trump’s criticism to add more fuel to the 2024 fire.”
- Trump and DeSantis are both thought to be favored for the Republican nomination for the 2024 presidential ballot, however, many conservatives hope that they might see both names in the general election.