On Tuesday, a suspect carried out a drive-by shooting at the scene where George Floyd died exactly one year previously. Many had gathered to commemorate Floyd’s death at the hands of police, and reporters captured footage of the shooting in progress. Police have reportedly taken possession of the vehicle in question but have not apprehended a suspect.
A 911 caller told police that the suspect’s vehicle left the area “at a high rate of speed.” Police reported that an individual with a non-life-threatening gunshot wound was being treated at a local hospital.
“This is an evolving incident,” police spokesperson John Elder said in a statement to USA Today. “No further information is available at this time.”
The suspect opened fire near George Floyd Square, the intersection where Floyd died on May 25, 2020. Philip Crowther, an Associated Press journalist shooting video at the intersection, reported hearing as many as 30 gunshots about a block east of the intersection. He reported that a storefront window appeared to have been broken by a gunshot.
The AP reporter noted that a fellow reporter had her phone smashed because she took photos of the storefront hit by a bullet.