October 18: California Parents Plan School ‘Walkout’ to Oppose COVID Vax Mandate

A Shasta County grade school has canceled class for Monday, October 18, for a planned school walkout protesting California’s new COVID vaccine mandate for all public and private schools.

QUICK FACTS:
  • An Oak Run Elementary official confirmed an email was sent by the school stating, “Parents, educators, and students across the U.S. will engage in peaceful noncompliance activities to remind government officials that individuals should have the final say when it comes to their health,” according to a local ABC affiliate.
  • Chief Business Officer Tiffany Fulkerson shared a Facebook post explaining the walkout.

Letter sent to parents of Oak Run Elementary School students explaining a walk-out day for October 18
  • SaveCalifornia.com—a nonprofit organization founded in 1999 by Randy Thomasson as part of the Campaign for Children and Families (CCF)—posted a schedule on its website officially listing October 18 with the headline “Statewide School Walk Out: Say You Are Not OK With The Vax” and the flyer below.
Flyer from savecalifornia.com
  • Fulkerson told the ABC affiliate that their school does not agree with CA Governor Gavin Newsom’s recent school vaccine mandate because “her small school would not survive” the implementation.
  • Fulkerson also says the Oak Run school has 11 staff members and roughly 60 students, all of whom would need to be vaccinated to attend in-person instruction once the mandate is in place, reports the ABC affiliate.
  • Newsom’s mandate is to take place in two phases, the first requiring all children in grades 7-12 to get vaccinated along with all school staff. Students in grades K-6 will be required in the second phase.
SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS RALLYING PARENTS TO WALK OUT ON OCTOBER 18:
  • Momsontheground.ca has more than 8,000 Instagram followers and is posting fliers calling on California parents to “Sit Out 10/18.” See below.
Screenshot taken from momsontheground.ca’s Instagram page
Screenshot taken from momsontheground.ca’s Instagram page
Screenshot taken from momsontheground.ca’s Instagram page
WHAT LOCALS HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THE WALKOUT:
  • The ABC affiliate’s Daisy Caballero spoke with a long-time Oak Run resident, Joseph Rodarte, who has three students at the school and says he fully stands behind the decision, according to the report.

“Oh, [I] definitely agree with the walk-out,” said Rodarte. “You know, a lot of the people up here are not only associated with the school but we know each other from the community. I went to school with people that work up there now as administrators and whatnot. It’s comforting for me, as a parent, to see my kids go to school where I know people and trust them. So, I trust what they do up there. And, so far, from what I see, they run a tight ship and I like it. [That’s] why my kids go there.”

Jon Fleetwood is Managing Editor at American Faith.