An Obama-appointed federal judge has sided with Maryland Democrats to block the Trump administration’s cost-saving plan for relocating FBI headquarters, forcing taxpayers to potentially foot a nearly $5 billion bill for a facility that wouldn’t open until 2035.
United States District Judge Theodore Chuang ruled Monday that the administration illegally scrapped previous relocation plans when it moved to repurpose the existing Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, D.C., instead of building an entirely new complex in Greenbelt, Maryland.
The ruling represents the latest example of judicial interference in the administration’s efforts to streamline government spending and reduce waste.
FBI Director Kash Patel had announced the shift last year, explaining that the Reagan Building option would save billions while allowing the transition to begin immediately. “When we arrived, taxpayers were about to be on the hook for nearly $5 billion for a new headquarters that wouldn’t open until 2035. We scrapped that plan,” Patel said.
“Instead, we selected the already-existing Reagan Building, saving billions and allowing the transition to begin immediately with required safety and infrastructure upgrades already underway,” he continued.
The dispute centers on a nearly 15-year saga to find a new home for the FBI. The current J. Edgar Hoover Building in Washington, D.C., has served as headquarters since 1975 but has deteriorated significantly over the decades.
“Today, however, the Hoover Building has physically deteriorated and can no longer meet the FBI’s staffing and security needs,” Judge Chuang acknowledged in his opinion.
In 2023, Greenbelt, Maryland, located in Prince George’s County, was selected for the new headquarters. But when the Trump administration reviewed the plans in July 2025, officials determined the Reagan Building offered a far more sensible solution.
Judge Chuang found that shifting funds Congress had already allocated for the Greenbelt location violated federal law. “The injunction may be revisited in the event that Congress takes statutory action to rescind or alter the Site Selection Provision,” he wrote.
The FBI fired back at the ruling, accusing the courts of political interference.
“This is not the first time courts have tried to undermine the administration in its goal to make government more cost-effective for American taxpayers,” the bureau said in a statement. “The court has chosen to impermissibly intervene for political reasons. The FBI is mission focused and will continue the best course of action to meet the needs of law enforcement.”
Maryland Attorney General Anthony Brown celebrated the decision, pointing to the state’s investment in the original plan.
“Maryland and Prince George’s County committed more than a decade of work to earn the FBI headquarters and pledged hundreds of millions of dollars,” Brown said in a statement. “By blocking the Trump Administration’s unlawful attempt to move the FBI to the Reagan Building and divert the funds Congress set aside for this project, the Court has cleared the path back to Greenbelt.”
The case highlights a recurring pattern in which federal judges, often appointed by Democratic presidents, have blocked Trump administration initiatives aimed at reducing government waste and improving efficiency. The Greenbelt project would cost taxpayers billions more than the Reagan Building alternative and wouldn’t be completed for another decade.
At the end of last year, Director Patel announced that the Hoover Building was being shut down and work was already underway on the Reagan Building. He described it as finalizing “a plan to permanently close the FBI’s Hoover headquarters and move the workforce into a safe, modern facility” after more than 20 years of failed attempts.
The ruling now throws those plans into uncertainty, leaving the FBI’s future headquarters in limbo while lawyers and politicians battle over billions in taxpayer dollars.





