Uyghurs call for a boycott of the 2022 Winter Olympics due to the genocide of their people by the Chinese government.
- The minority Uyghur people, along with advocates for the group, are calling for a boycott of viewing the Beijing winter Olympics, according to MRC TV.
- Reports of mass imprisonment and genocide have fueled calls for viewers to stop the promotion of the event.
- According to the publication, The New York Times has backed China’s official statement, promoting the Olympics.
- The International Olympic Committee has also been unwilling to hear concerns about the country’s reported crimes, saying that it opposes politics in sports.
MORE ON CHINA’S ALLEGED CRIMES:
- Breitbart reported that China has converted the East Turkistan area into an open-air prison with technological monitoring.
- The Daily Mail is comparing the Chinese government to Adolf Hitler’s Germany saying that they “desperately needed to legitimise his tyrannical regime” by using the 1936 Olympic Games.
- The Uyghur people are a Muslim Turkic ethnic group of Central and East Asia living primarily in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) in the far northwest of China, according to the Congressional Research Service.
- XUAR authorities began to forcefully reduce the birth rates and separated families in 2017, putting children in state-run boarding schools.
- Additionally, as many as 1.8 million Muslims have been put into “reeducation” centers for “pre-criminal offenses” where they are subjected to forced labor, sexual abuse, food deprivation and according to some accounts, mass execution.