“A Radical Left lawyer who works with Chuck Schumer’s brother at a Democrat law firm is upset the District Attorney of New York has not yet pursued phony charges against President Trump,” Trump’s spokesperson said.
- Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg has “indefinitely” suspended his department’s criminal investigation into President Donald Trump and his business, the Trump Organization, according to a resignation letter from one of his top prosecutors, Conservative Brief reports.
- Two lead investigators, Mark Pomerantz and Carey Dunne, turned in their resignations last month after Bragg questioned being able to find justification for going forward with a case against Trump.
- While Pomerantz disagreed with Bragg’s decision, arguing in a letter that the decision may have been “wrong,” he said the decision was nevertheless still “made in good faith.”
- Pomerantz ultimately quit his position, saying, “I believe that your decision not to prosecute Donald Trump now, and on the existing record, is misguided and completely contrary to the public interest,” Pomerantz wrote. “I therefore cannot continue in my current position.”
- Fox News cited a source familiar with the investigation who claimed the case against Trump was political and fueled by the former president’s political enemies, telling the network that Pomerantz “shouldn’t have been in the DA’s office in the first place.”
WHAT TRUMP’S SPOKESPERSON SAID:
- “A Radical Left lawyer who works with Chuck Schumer’s brother at a Democrat law firm is upset the District Attorney of New York has not yet pursued phony charges against President Trump,” said Liz Harrington, spokesperson for Donald J. Trump. “It’s troubling how politicized our justice system has become, where Democrats are loaned out to gin up crimes against their political opponents. President Trump built a great business, and did nothing wrong. New York should get back to solving their skyrocketing crime problem, rather than spending so much time and energy on partisan witch hunts.”
- “On top of everything else, their firm represents the DNC, Democrats, and is Hillary Clinton’s law firm,” Harrington went on to say. “This is disgraceful behavior and how somebody like that and others from his firm can be let loose to become prosecutors of a great Republican President is disgraceful. So bad, in fact, that professional prosecutors resigned in protest of this presidential persecution. They thought it was very unfair. Will this Radical Left law firm be held legally accountable for what they have done?”
- Before joining Vance’s office, Pomerantz was of counsel at New York law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, taking leave from the firm last year to join Vance’s office to investigate Trump’s financial dealings, Fox notes.
- Robert Schumer, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer’s brother, is a partner at the firm.
- Pomerantz also donated to Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign, according to Fox.