The committee has returned to televised hearings after summer break.
- Donald Trump has been summoned by the House committee looking into the attack on the Capitol on Jan. 6. after a unanimous vote by the panel on Thursday.
- The Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol returned from summer break to hold what was expected to be their final hearing before the midterm elections.
- During the hearing, panel chairman, Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss), said the committee had an “obligation” to hear from Trump.
- “This is a question about accountability to the American people. He must be accountable. He is required to answer for his actions,” Thompson said, going on to assert that the former president is “required to answer” for the police officers who were at the capitol during the demonstrations.
TRUMP’S LETTER TO JAN 6 COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN:
- Former President Donald Trump addressed “The Honorable Bennie G. Thompson,” who is the chairperson of the Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol saying, “THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION OF 2020 WAS RIGGED AND STOLEN!”
- The letter went on to say: “The same group of Radical Left Democrats who utilized their Majority position in Congress to create the fiction of Russia, Russia, Russia, Impeachment Hoax #1, Impeachment Hoax #2, the $48 Million Mueller Report (which ended in No Collusion!), Ukraine, Ukraine, Ukraine, the atrocious and illegal Spying on my Campaign, and so much more, are the people who created this Committee of highly partisan political Hacks and Thugs whose sole function is to destroy the lives of many hard-working American Patriots, whose records in life have been unblemished until this point of attempted ruination. The double standard of the Unselects between what has taken place on the “RIGHT,” and what has taken place with Radical Left, lawless groups such as Antifa, Black Lives Matter, and others, is startling and will never be acceptable, even to those who will be writing the history of what you have done to America.”
- “This memo is being written to express our anger, disappointment, and complaint that with all of the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on what many consider to be a Charade and Witch Hunt, and despite strong and powerful requests, you have not spent even a short moment on examining the massive Election Fraud that took place during the 2020 Presidential Election, and have targeted only those who were, as concerned American Citizens, protesting the Fraud itself,” Trump went on. “Those who committed the Fraud, thereby having created the Crime of the Century, go unblemished and untouched, but those who fought the Crime have suffered a fate that was unthinkable just a short time ago. We have a two-tier system of Justice in the United States that cannot be allowed to continue. A Majority of people in our Country say that the Presidential Election of 2020 was determinatively dishonest, including the fact that many Legislatures were overridden by local and State politicians and judges on vital regulations and requirements, which is totally illegal and UNCONSTITUTIONAL.”
- The former president went on to talk about several other injustices, before saying, “Despite very poor television ratings, the Unselect Committee has perpetuated a Show Trial the likes of which this Country has never seen before. There is no Due Process, no Cross-Examination, no “real” Republican members, and no legitimacy since you do not talk about Election Fraud or not calling up the troops. It is a Witch Hunt of the highest level, a continuation of what has been going on for. years. You have not gone after the people that created the Fraud, but rather great American Patriots who questioned it, as is their Constitutional right. These people have had their lives ruined as your Committee sits back and basks in the glow.”
- Trump ended his letter to the committee stating, “The people of this Country will not stand for unequal justice under the law, or Liberty and Justice for some. Election Day is coming. We demand answers on the Crime of the Century.”
- The January 6 committee was the subject of an article by CNN, which acknowledged that “voters may care more about the cost of French fries than January 6 panel’s compelling evidence.”
- The CNN article spoke about Republicans’ focus on a “dystopian picture of a nation in the grip of a crime wave to try to turn the election into a referendum on President Joe Biden.”
- The author then said that “polls repeatedly show that voters see the economy – a far more visceral issue in daily life than the threat to American democracy – as their top concern.”
- The author then went on to say, “While it would be too simplistic to say voters are more preoccupied with the cost of French fries than the price of democratic freedoms, it wouldn’t be far from the mark.”