CNN has lost 38 percent of its already dwindling viewership in 2021 as well as fending off allegations relating to pedophilia amongst its staff.
- Information released over the weekend by Nielsen data indicated that CNN experienced a 25 percent drop in weekday prime-time viewership.
- MSNBC lost 25 percent of its followers in the same time period.
- Data show around 919,000 Americans watch MSNBC, while only around 787,000 still watch CNN.
- CNN, MSNBC, and other networks are all just vying for second, according to Info Wars, who predicted that the network could be put out of business if the trend continues.
OTHER IMPORTANT DATA:
- A decline in viewership was seen at NBC’s Nightly News, which saw a 14 percent decline in viewers.
- ABC’s World News Tonight and the CBS Evening News each saw a 12 percent drop in viewership.
- Print media was not exempt, with unique visitors to Washington Post’s website plummeting 44% between November 2020 and 2021, and the New York Times lost a whopping 34% unique visitors during the same period.
- Some experts have cited the decline in viewership as a response to the change in administrations.
- MSN News cited the drop as possibly a result of the dying off of the “explosive subscriber growth” for some digital media outlets.
- Scandals, like that currently surrounding CNN host Chris Cuomo, are also pointed to as a possible reason for the downturn in viewer interest.