Evans commented on the gay kiss that was reinstated after Pixar employees objected to its removal.
- Actor Chris Evans spoke out in support of the appearance of a gay kiss in the upcoming “Toy Story” film prequel “Lightyear.”
- “The real truth is those people are idiots,” lead star Evans told reporters. “Every time there’s been social advancement as we wake up, the American story, the human story is one of constant social awakening and growth and that’s what makes us good.”
- The “queer love story” features a kiss between scientist Hawthorn and her wife, and was originally cut from the film.
- The character’s exchange was eventually reinstated after progressive Pixar employees sent a letter to the company, clamoring for affirmation of gay relationships in the film.
- The film is slated to premiere on June 17 and offers the origin story of Buzz Lightyear, voiced by Evans, who is one of the primary characters in the beloved “Toy Story” franchise.
- The film, however, will not open in 14 countries where homosexuality is illegal.
- “There’s always going to be people who are afraid and unaware and trying to hold on to what was before. But those people die off like dinosaurs. I think the goal is to pay them no mind, march forward and embrace the growth that makes us human,” said Evans.
- “As great as it is — and you know, I’ve been asked the question a few times — it’s nice, and it’s wonderful, it makes me happy. It’s tough to not be a little frustrated that it even has to be a topic of discussion. That it is this kind of ‘news,’” he went on to say. “The goal is that we can get to a point where it is the norm, and that this doesn’t have to be some uncharted waters, that eventually this is just the way it is.”
- “That representation across the board is how we make films. Look, it’s an honor to be a part of something that is taking those steps, but the goal is to look back on this time and just be shocked that it took us this long to get there.”
- While employees of progressive groups are pushing for more inclusion of the LGBTQ community, Disney is suffering a massive loss in stock price due to their conflict with the state of Florida over the parental rights bill.
- The progressive entertainment company is slated to land among the worst-performing stocks in 2022 after it stood up to the Republican-led state over its efforts to keep LGBTQ ideology out of K-3rd grade classrooms.