Home Blog Page 47

Children Protected as Court Upholds State’s Ban on Gender Changes

columbia
Transgender flag (ev/Unsplash)

A federal appeals court ruled that laws prohibiting child sex change surgeries do not violate parental rights. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit ruled 8-2 that Arkansas’ Save Adolescents From Experimentation Act (SAFE) can take effect.

“The question is whether this Nation’s history and tradition, as well as its historical understanding of ordered liberty, support the right of a parent to obtain for his or her child a medical treatment that, although the child desires it and a doctor approves, the state legislature deems inappropriate for minors,” the majority wrote. “This court finds no such right in this Nation’s history and tradition.”

“Given the two parallel currents in this Nation’s history and tradition—first, states can prohibit medical treatments for adults and children, and second, parents cannot automatically exempt their children from regulations—this court does not find a deeply rooted right of parents to exempt their children from regulations reasonably prohibiting gender transition procedures,” the court added.

“This is a win for common sense – and for our kids,” Arkansas Governor Sarah Huckabee Sanders (R) said of the ruling. “Arkansas’ first-in-the nation law to protect kids from life-altering gender experiments is back in effect!”

Arkansas Attorney General Tim Griffin also celebrated the ruling. “The Eighth Circuit held that Arkansas’s SAFE Act is constitutional. That law prohibits healthcare providers from performing gender-transition surgeries on minors or providing them puberty blockers or cross-sex hormones,” he said. “I applaud the court’s decision recognizing that Arkansas has a compelling interest in protecting the physical and psychological health of children and am pleased that children in Arkansas will be protected from risky, experimental procedures with lifelong consequences.”

The ruling comes days after a similar ruling had been made in Oklahoma. Citing the Supreme Court’s June decision in United States v. Skrmetti, which upheld a related law in Tennessee, Circuit Judge Joel M. Carson ruled that Oklahoma’s law is legally sound and “functionally indistinguishable” from the Tennessee statute. The court found the state has an appropriate basis for regulating gender transition procedures to protect minors’ physical and psychological well-being.

Judge Orders UCLA Funding Reinstated

(tommao wang/Unsplash)

A federal judge has ordered the Trump administration to reinstate part of the federal grant funding it recently suspended for the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) over civil rights violations and antisemitism concerns.

Biden-appointed U.S. District Judge Rita Lin ruled Tuesday that the administration violated a June preliminary injunction directing the National Science Foundation (NSF) to restore dozens of terminated grants to the University of California system. Lin wrote that the NSF continued to halt funding to UCLA despite the injunction, reclassifying “terminations” as “suspensions” in what she described as an unreasonable interpretation of her order.

“NSF’s actions violate the Preliminary Injunction,” Lin stated in her decision.

According to UCLA, the federal government has frozen $584 million in funding. The university said it is reviewing a settlement proposal from the administration that would require UCLA to pay $1 billion, warning the payment would “devastate” the institution.

The funding freeze follows a series of high-profile controversies. UCLA agreed last month to pay more than $6 million to settle a lawsuit alleging antisemitism and faces another suit over a 2024 mob attack on pro-Palestinian protesters. Large demonstrations on campus last year intensified scrutiny from federal authorities.

The Trump administration has reached other settlements with universities accused of similar violations, including Columbia University, which agreed to pay over $220 million, and Brown University, which will pay $50 million over ten years. Negotiations with Harvard are ongoing.

The case, Thakur v. Trump, is being heard in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.

China Sanctions Lithuanian Banks Over EU Russia Moves

China infrastructure threat
China flag (kool99/Getty Images Signature/Canva Pro)

China has announced sanctions against two Lithuanian banks, UAB Urbo Bankas and Mano Bankas AB, in retaliation for the European Union’s recent inclusion of Chinese financial institutions in its latest sanctions package against Russia.

According to China’s Ministry of Commerce, the sanctions prohibit any cooperation between the two Lithuanian banks and Chinese individuals or institutions. The ministry said the move responds to the EU’s decision to sanction two unnamed Chinese banks for alleged involvement in supporting Russia’s war in Ukraine. Those EU sanctions took effect on August 9.

“The EU, disregarding China’s solemn position, insisted on adding two Chinese financial institutions to its sanctions list… severely damaging the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese companies, and [having] a serious negative impact on China-EU economic and trade relations and financial cooperation,” the ministry said in its statement.

The EU’s latest sanctions package, adopted in July, targeted individuals and companies accused of aiding Russia’s military effort. While China has not specified which of its financial institutions were sanctioned, NATO and Western officials have long accused Beijing of acting as a “decisive enabler” of Russia’s war through the sale of tools, equipment, and microelectronics.

Lithuania’s relationship with China has been tense in recent years, particularly after Vilnius deepened ties with Taiwan and criticized Beijing’s human rights record. This latest development adds another layer of strain to China-EU relations as Beijing pushes back against measures targeting its companies over their role in the Ukraine conflict.

Space Force-Sanctioned Rocket Embarks on First Mission

golden dome
Space Satellite (NASA/Unsplash)

The first Vulcan rocket sanctioned by the U.S. Space Force launched on Tuesday night. The 200-foot spacecraft from United Launch Alliance (ULA), equipped with four rocket boosters, took off from Florida just before 9:00 p.m. EDT and has been described as the “first National Security Space Launch aboard the next-generation Vulcan rocket,” according to ULA.

“It’s an exciting day for us as we launched the first NSSL flight of Vulcan, an outstanding achievement for United Launch Alliance and the nation’s strategic space lift capability. This is an important milestone for the Space Force and all involved,” Col. Jim Horne, USSF-106 mission director, said in a statement, as reported by The Hill.

Horne added, “After years of development, technical collaboration and dedication by all involved, including our government mission partners and the entire ULA team, I’m proud to say the first Vulcan NSSL mission delivered its payloads safely into space.”

“National security begins at liftoff,” said ULA Vice President of Government and Commercial Programs Gary Wentz. “Vulcan did exactly what it was built to do: deliver a critical mission with power, precision and confidence. We are proud to play a role in strengthening the nation’s space capabilities.”

ULA President and CEO Tory Bruno described the Vulcan as the world’s “most capable, high-energy orbit rocket meeting the demand for expanding space competencies.”

“Vulcan provides flexibility to our nation’s decision makers as we combat our adversaries attempts to disrupt the U.S. in space operations,” Bruno added. “This launch begins a new era in national space security.”

AI Chatbots Naturally Build Echo Chambers

AI, Artificial Intelligence (Just_Super/Getty via Canva Pro)

A new University of Amsterdam study has found that AI chatbots, when placed in a stripped-down social media environment, naturally self-organize into echo chambers based on pre-assigned political affiliations — even without algorithms or ads influencing their behavior.

Published as a preprint on arXiv, the research used 500 AI chatbots powered by OpenAI’s GPT-4o mini model. Each bot was assigned a persona with a political leaning and allowed to perform 10,000 actions across five experiments. Despite the platform having no content discovery algorithms, the bots overwhelmingly followed like-minded accounts and amplified partisan posts. The most ideologically extreme accounts attracted the largest followings and repost activity.

Researchers noted that the chatbots were modeled on human interaction patterns learned from decades of algorithm-driven platforms, meaning they likely reflect existing human biases and polarization. This raises concerns about whether reversing social media’s polarizing effects is even possible.

The team tested several interventions aimed at reducing polarization: switching to a chronological feed, devaluing viral content, hiding follower and repost counts, removing user bios, and boosting opposing viewpoints. None had a major impact, with the most successful change — concealing engagement metrics — reducing partisan amplification by just 6 percent. Counterintuitively, hiding user bios worsened polarization, leading to more attention for extreme posts.

The findings suggest that social media’s architecture itself may inherently foster division, even without manipulative algorithms. As the researchers concluded, these systems act as a distorted mirror of humanity — reflecting and amplifying existing flaws in public discourse while offering few easy fixes.

Jack Schlossberg Joins America 250 Commission Amid Uproar

Chuck Schumer
Senator Chuck Schumer (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) has appointed Jack Schlossberg, the only grandson of former President John F. Kennedy, to the America 250 Commission, which will oversee celebrations for the United States’ 250th anniversary in 2026. Schumer announced the appointment Wednesday, calling Schlossberg “the right choice” to help ensure the milestone honors “our nation and our values.”

The decision is sparking backlash over Schlossberg’s history of sexually suggestive and mocking online posts directed at Usha Vance, wife of Vice President JD Vance, and actress Cheryl Hines, wife of Robert F. Kennedy Jr. In recent months, Schlossberg has posted altered photos implying a romantic relationship with Usha Vance, compared her appearance to that of his grandmother Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and created captions suggesting they might have a child together.

Schlossberg has also targeted Hines with personal insults and sexualized videos. In one incident, he appeared wet from the shower, licked his lips, and told her to apologize to the family of a child who died from measles. The clip drew widespread criticism. Hines has refrained from detailed public comment, saying any response might fuel his behavior, but acknowledged she finds his conduct baffling.

Schlossberg’s critics argue his selection to the commission—despite no notable professional achievements outside his family connections—reflects political favoritism and undermines the seriousness of the role. Supporters of a merit-based process say the appointment raises questions about the vetting for a body tasked with representing the nation during a landmark commemoration.

The America 250 Commission, created by Congress, is responsible for coordinating events, programs, and initiatives to mark the country’s founding anniversary. Its mission is to showcase America’s history, culture, and democratic values to the public and the world.

President Trump to Host 2025 Kennedy Center Honors, Selects Star-Studded Lineup

Trump
(Photo by Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

Speaking from the Kennedy Center on Wednesday, President Donald Trump announced the honorees for the 2025 Kennedy Center Honors and confirmed he will personally host the event. Trump said he initially declined the invitation, joking, “Are you fools asking me to do that? I’m President of the United States. I won’t do it.” He ultimately agreed after a request from White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles, saying, “Okay Susie, I’ll do it. That’s the power she’s got.”

Trump revealed he was “about 98 percent involved” in selecting this year’s honorees, noting he “turned down plenty” and rejected “a couple of wokesters.” The 48th Kennedy Center Honors recipients are country music legend George Strait, stage and screen star Michael Crawford, actor Sylvester Stallone, singer Gloria Gaynor, and rock band Kiss. Trump praised the group as “outstanding people” and “an incredible” lineup.

Highlighting Strait’s four-decade career, Trump cited his 120 million albums sold worldwide, 60 number one hits, and 33 platinum-certified albums — more than any other living American. “He’s believed by millions of people to just be as good as you can get,” Trump said.

Of Crawford, Trump called him “one of the greatest talents I’ve ever actually seen,” praising his award-winning career and remarkable voice. Stallone, Trump said, is “a legend of the silver screen” whose films have grossed more than $7.5 billion.

Gaynor, known as “one of the most revered singers of the American disco era,” earned Trump’s praise for her enduring hit I Will Survive, which he called “one of those few songs that get better every time you hear it.” Kiss, he said, is “one of the greatest rock bands of all time,” with “great people” as members.

DOJ Settlement Ends Race-Based Admissions at West Point, Air Force Academy

DOJ
Department of Justice seal (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File)

The Justice Department has reached a settlement with the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and the U.S. Air Force Academy to permanently end race-based admissions policies, concluding a lawsuit brought by Students for Fair Admissions Inc. The group, which has successfully challenged affirmative action in higher education, dropped its legal challenges this week after the Trump administration secured the agreement.

The DOJ said the settlement “avoids the need for continued litigation” and establishes “agreed-upon terms that help ensure that admission to these prestigious institutions is based exclusively on merit, not race or ethnicity.” Attorney General Pamela Bondi emphasized that the agreement reflects the administration’s commitment to eliminating DEI practices across the federal government.

Under the settlement, both academies are prohibited from considering race or ethnicity in admissions, setting race-based quotas, or providing admissions officers access to applicants’ race or ethnicity information. Admissions personnel will receive training to adhere strictly to merit-based standards. The policies, approved by the Department of Defense, are permanent and will apply to all future admissions cycles.

The legal battle began in 2023 when Students for Fair Admissions sued both institutions, challenging their race-conscious admissions policies. While the Supreme Court struck down such policies for civilian colleges in a landmark ruling, it declined to take up the West Point case at the time, calling it “undeveloped.”

The shift came after President Donald Trump issued an executive order declaring that “every element of the Armed Forces should operate free from any preference based on race or sex.” The Defense Department subsequently ended the Biden-era policy claiming a “compelling national security interest” justified race-based admissions.

Edward Blum, the group’s executive director, hailed the settlement as a “historic day for the principle of equal treatment under the law,” ensuring that future military officers will be selected solely on merit.

Ex-Police Chief Backs Trump D.C. Crime Crackdown

Trump federal workforce reductions
American Flag (Samuel Branch/Unsplash)

Former U.S. Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund says rising violent crime in Washington, D.C., justifies President Donald Trump’s decision to place the city’s police department under federal control and deploy the National Guard. Speaking on Breitbart News Daily, Sund said D.C.’s homicide rate remains far above historic lows despite a recent dip from last year’s peak.

Sund described Trump as “very, very detail-oriented,” noting that the president has been known to personally spot and report issues like broken streetlights or graffiti. He said it was unsurprising that Trump would act after seeing gangs of youth take over areas like Navy Yard, just blocks from the Capitol and White House.

“This isn’t new—we did this in the early ’90s when I was with D.C. police, and we drove down homicide rates,” Sund said. He recalled that between 2010 and 2014, homicides hovered around 100–170 per year under Chief Cathy Lanier. By contrast, 2023 saw 274 homicides, a 60% increase from those earlier years.

Sund pushed back on D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser’s claims that crime is dropping, arguing that the decline from 2023 to 2024 still leaves rates roughly double what they were a decade ago. He also warned that crime has spread beyond historically dangerous neighborhoods into wider areas of the city.

The former chief urged a strong focus on violent and repeat offenders, particularly juveniles, criticizing the city’s historically lenient approach to youth crime. “If you don’t begin to address behavior at a young age, it’s just going to get worse,” he said, adding that D.C.’s homicide rate is now “five to six times that of any other major city in the United States.”

Democrats’ Crime Policies Gave Trump Political Opening

Trump Daddy
(Photo by Omar Havana/Getty Images)

MSNBC legal analyst Anthony Coley said Wednesday on Morning Joe that Democrats on Washington, D.C.’s city council created the “political opening” that allowed President Donald Trump to take control of the city’s police force. Coley, who lives in D.C., said frustration over crime—particularly juvenile offenses—has left many residents dissatisfied with local leadership.

“There is a gap between what the data shows and how many Washingtonians feel,” Coley said, noting that half of D.C. residents see crime as a serious or extremely serious problem. He pointed to everyday frustrations, such as basic goods being locked behind plexiglass at stores, as fueling public perception of unsafe streets.

While juvenile arrests are down in D.C., Coley contrasted this with Baltimore, where such arrests have risen. He also highlighted $1 billion in federal funds withheld by Congress, which could otherwise be used to hire more officers. Coley criticized some of the D.C. council’s legislation as being too lenient on juvenile offenders and repeat criminals, saying those laws contributed to the political climate that Trump is now using to justify his actions.

At the same time, Coley rejected the scale of Trump’s intervention—calling the policing takeover a “political stunt” designed to exploit public fears. Still, he stressed that Democrats “never want to give your political opponent an opening to address the needs that many of your constituents have,” arguing that local missteps have made Trump’s move more politically viable.

Trump announced this week that he was placing the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department under federal control and deploying National Guard troops to address what he called rampant crime, gang activity, and public disorder in the nation’s capital.