The inclusion of a biological male “jeopardizes the fairness” of the girls’ basketball game.
- The Mid Vermont Christian School girls’ basketball team refused to play against a team with a transgender athlete, withdrawing from the state’s playoff tournament.
- No. 12 seed Eagles were to play against No. 5 seed Long Trail, but chose to forfeit over concerns of “fairness” and “safety” for the players.
- “We believe playing against an opponent with a biological male jeopardizes the fairness of the game and the safety of our players,” said MVCS head of school Vicky Fogg. “Allowing biological males to participate in women’s sports sets a bad precedent for the future of women’s sports in general.”
- Assistant executive director for the Vermont Principals’ Association Lauren Thomas told local publication Valley News that she “received calls (from schools) asking for best practices and how to go forward knowing they were going to play a team with a transgender female on it.”
- “We just supported our stance and our best practices through our inclusivity statement,” Thomas continued.
TRANSGENDER BANS IN FEMALE SPORTS:
- According to the LGBT Map, 18 states have bans on transgender athletes participating in biological women’s sports.
- Louisiana is the latest state to ban transgender athletes from involvement in girls’ sports, having passed the Fairness in Women’s Sports Act.
- The bill requires Louisiana K-12 schools and universities to establish sports team members according to the biological sex assigned at birth.
- On February 1, 2023, Florida Congressman Daniel Webster (R) reintroduced the Protection of Women and Girls in Sports Act to ensure that “school athletics comply with the Title IX recognition of a person’s reproductive biology and genetics at birth,” according to a press release.
- American Faith reported that a high school girls’ volleyball player was injured after being spiked in the head by a transgender opponent.
- A biological male spiked the volleyball at an estimated 70 mph, described as “abnormally fast” by one witness.
- The assaulted player suffered significant injuries to her head and neck.