Australia’s government has taken a dramatic step in the long-running debate over citizens linked to the Islamic State, issuing a “temporary exclusion order” against one of 34 Australians previously held in Syrian detention camps.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed Wednesday that one individual from the group has been barred from returning to Australia under a 2019 counterterrorism provision that has not previously been used in this way. The decision comes as the future of dozens of Australian nationals — many described as wives and children of ISIS fighters — remains uncertain.
The 34 individuals were connected to the Roj camp in northeastern Syria, a facility that has housed ISIS-linked detainees from dozens of countries since the collapse of the so-called caliphate. With the Syrian government now pushing foreign governments to take back their nationals, countries that have delayed repatriations for years are facing renewed pressure to make final decisions.
Australia’s public posture has been hardline. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has repeatedly signaled resistance to providing help or repatriation, arguing that national security must be the overriding priority. His government has emphasized that anyone who committed crimes would face the full force of the law if they returned, while also stressing that Australia should not be forced into accepting people tied to extremist ideology.
The situation escalated this week after reports that the 34 detainees were released from the camp and placed into the custody of family members, only to be returned to detention shortly thereafter for unspecified “technical reasons.” The sudden reversal fueled uncertainty about whether repatriation was imminent or whether the detainees remain trapped in a diplomatic and legal stalemate.
As debate intensified at home, political pressure also rose. One Nation leader Pauline Hanson demanded a firm ban on the return of anyone associated with ISIS, including the “ISIS brides,” arguing they willingly chose to support extremist militants and should not be allowed back into Australian society. She called for exclusion orders and passport-related restrictions — measures the government has now at least partially adopted.
Burke said the temporary exclusion order was issued on the advice of security agencies, and he noted authorities have not yet advised whether additional exclusion orders will be imposed on the remaining 33. The order relies on a rarely discussed section of Australia’s 2019 security framework, underscoring the seriousness with which officials are treating the case.
Albanese has also acknowledged the difficult humanitarian dimension, particularly involving children. He said it is “unfortunate” children are caught in the consequences of adult decisions, while maintaining that the adults involved aligned themselves with an ideology that threatens Australia’s way of life.
Adding another complication, comments attributed to officials connected to the Syrian camp system have suggested Australia may have already issued passports or travel documents for detainees — a claim that, if accurate, would conflict with the government’s publicly stated position of refusing assistance. That discrepancy could become a major point of political contention in the days ahead.
The episode highlights the broader dilemma facing Western democracies: balancing humanitarian concerns, legal obligations, and national security risks when citizens become entangled with terrorist groups abroad. For Australia, the use of a temporary exclusion order may signal a tougher, more restrictive approach — and could set a precedent for how future cases are handled.

